Author Topic: Salt Mine under the lake?  (Read 9186 times)

Offline OHfishing.com

• OHfishing.com Ohio's home for free fishing reports
    • View Profile
    • OHfishing.com
Salt Mine under the lake?
« on: 04/01/11, 04:43 »
Whats this about?

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=169364

According to what I read , there is a salt mine , under the lake , that collapsed , draining the lake of billions of water per day?

I do not believe the poster myself , so I figured I would ask here.. laugh if you want lol

Even if there was a collapsed salt mine , under the lake , wouldnt it quickly fill with water after a few billion gallons?

I did some research and there is in fact salt mines under the lake , http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/erie.htm

I just cant fathom them taking that much water should they collapse.

Is this a hoax?

« Last Edit: 04/01/11, 04:45 by OHfishing.com »

Offline jheath43112

• View Profile
Re: Salt Mine under the lake?
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/11, 08:18 »
What day is this???

Offline Eugene Braig, Ohio Sea Grant

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
    • senr.osu.edu/facview.asp?id=3503
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/11, 08:34 »
Hoax indeed.  That link is part of a long tradition of hoaxery to occur on the first day of April each year.  There are salt mines under the lake, but any word of them collapsing to totally drain Lake Erie, at least at the time of this writing, is related to the interaction of April and "fools."

Offline John Hageman

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/11, 13:38 »
All joking aside, I recently saw an article that wondered what would happen of there was an earthquake under Lake Erie. It was addressing the possibility of a tsunami, but also mentioned the threat of the salt mines collapsing and drastically changing lake levels by allowing lake water into the salt mine chambers near Cleveland and Detroit.   

jimski2

« Reply #4 on: 04/03/11, 03:51 »
A salt mine in New York State collapsed a few years ago when the operators in a move to generate more profits decided to start "robbing pillars" that hold the roof of the mine up. It filled up with water and they opened a new mine several miles away. The salt vein runs from Detroit to Syracuse, NY and has many mines in it.

ohfishing

« Reply #5 on: 04/03/11, 06:01 »
Next april fools.... can we post king mackrel photo's and say the salinity of the lake is now that of the ocean?

Offline Eugene Braig, Ohio Sea Grant

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
    • senr.osu.edu/facview.asp?id=3503
« Reply #6 on: 04/04/11, 06:25 »
Go for it.

Dave Libby

« Reply #7 on: 04/05/11, 15:00 »
John Hageman said: All joking aside, salt mines collapsing…

John, I thought it was just a good joke when I saw it on the other website. But they also put up this video of a salt mine accident in Louisiana. What happened was way beyond what I ever expected.
Lake Peigneur sinkhole disaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

I did a little bit of rough calculations to find out what would happen in Lake Erie. The people who monitor the Lakes use the metric system so everything is cubic meters.

Cleveland salt mine production 2 500 000 tons per year, density of salt about 2
That is 1 250 000 cubic meters of volume per year times 60years?
75 000 000 cubic meters total
The Niagara River flow is about 5 000 cubic meters per second. Only half of that or less goes over the falls. The rest is used to generate electricity.
That works out to 250 minutes of Niagara River flow pouring into the mine to fill it.
Less than 1 inch of water level drop in Lake Erie.
Not much water out of the lake overall but judging from the video it would be a huge disaster.

Offline Colleen Wellington

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/06/11, 06:36 »
Indeed, it would be no joke if it actually happened. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.