Author Topic: Mayflies  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Fred Snyder, Ohio Sea Grant Extension

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
Mayflies
« on: 07/06/11, 16:14 »
I'm not around the lake as closely as I used to be but still fish it a couple of times per week.  We've just come through the historical peak for mayfly emergence, and I've seen very little.  A couple here and there on buildings and very few of the shed skins floating on the water.

What has been the experience with other observers - a dearth of mayflies or did I simply miss them (normally a challenging thing to do)?  Could anoxia in the Western Basin in 2010 have smothered the bulk of this year's emergence?

Capt. Denny Bergeman

Re: Mayflies
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/11, 09:17 »
Fred,

Have notice the same thing on our side of the Lake.  The hatches have been light.  Not seeing the larve in the water like other years.  Heard the Canadian side has been hit with them more than us.  Also, have not notice them on the fish finder like other years.  Maybe the worst is yet to Come?

Capt. Denny Bergeman

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/07/11, 12:51 »
Hi Denny,

I expected them to be a little later this year because of the cool spring, but we're roughly two weeks past the conventional peak.  I'm developing some doubts that we're going to see much more.

Offline John Hageman

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/11/11, 16:56 »
There was one strong week in late June, but not very many in the Islands before or since. There was a 200 yard wide strip of spent skins that stretched for miles in the South Passage from Kelleys to Green Island on July 2nd.

BobD47fish

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/11, 06:58 »
We've had them all over the water for a couple of weeks, West of the shipping channel (the real Western basin!).
Any news yet on this years spawning success or lack thereof....

Offline rod bender bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/13/11, 10:07 »
Fred, we've had a ton of them this year. Brother has been dumping buckets of them in his pond for more than a month to feed his fish and minnows!  I've seen worse, but this has been a good (or bad LOL) year for them.

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/13/11, 15:10 »
Sounds like it's been a fairly normal year after all, at least in places.  We had some fairly risky low oxygen conditions in parts of the Western Basin in 2010, so it seemed a good question as to whether or not bottom critters like mayfly nymphs were affected.  Maybe we're seeing a patchy affect - on occasional trips that pass north of Kelleys, I haven't seen more than a little smattering of shed skins.  Thanks to all who answered.