Author Topic: What do gobies eat? (June 16, 2005)  (Read 16738 times)

Anonymous

What do gobies eat? (June 16, 2005)
« on: 11/17/05, 10:37 »
I'm curious as to what the main food source of the goby is. I catch them all the time on small bits of hot dog. I know there are no hot dogs swimming around in the Great Lakes...so what do they eat? Could Gobies be fished for commercially someday? Maybe we can make hot dogs out of them. Maybe I could be the first commercial goby fisherman. How about some goby gumbo?

Offline Kelly Riesen

• Full Time Member
    • View Profile
Re: What do gobies eat? (June 16, 2005)
« Reply #1 on: 11/17/05, 10:38 »
Round gobies eat invertebrates, fish eggs, insect larvae, small fish, and mussels, including the zebra mussel.

Because gobies and zebra mussels came from the same areas of Europe, they already have an established predator-prey relationship. In fact, one goby can eat over 70 zebra mussels per day. While this may seem like a solution to the zebra mussel problem, it's unlikely that gobies alone can put a dent in the zebra mussel population.

While the main diet of gobies may be zebra mussels, many anglers can attest that they will take anything you toss out, including hot dogs.

It is unlikely that we would want to use them as a food source. Gobies accumulate contaminants like PCB's and mercury in their body tissues from eating the zebra mussels. This also has implications on our sport fishery because more and more we are finding that bass, perch, walleye, and trout are eating the gobies.

Sorry to burst your entrepreneurial bubble, but goby gumbo probably won't sell!

For more information on gobies and zebra mussels, visit:

Ohio Sea Grant: www.sg.ohio-state.edu
Minnesota Sea Grant: www.seagrant.umn.edu/exotics/goby.html

Kelly Riesen, Fisheries Extension Program Coordinator, Ohio Sea Grant

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: 11/17/05, 10:38 »
What about goby based dog food or, better yet cat food. How do I go about trying to get a commercial license for gobies? The bottom of the great lakes is covered with gobies. We should be able to put them to some use. Do they do anything with them in Europe? I think it was the Caspian Sea that they came from, right? Do the Caspians use them for anything?

Offline Kelly Riesen

• Full Time Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/17/05, 10:39 »
Once again, the contaminants found in gobies will accumulate in our furry pet friends. This may not affect most pets, but for people that breed dogs and cats, it could affect their offspring.

Attaining a commercial fishing license for gobies could be a difficult thing to do here because they are an exotic species. It is illegal to transport gobies (for fear they will end up in un-tainted water bodies). Gobies are very harmful to our aquatic systems for a variety of reasons. I spoke with Carey Knight at the Ohio Division of Wildlife, and he said that it would not be possible to obtain a commercial license for gobies.

Mr. Knight also said that Europeans do utilize the goby as a food source. In fact, they even have special seasons and regulations to protect males during the spawning season. Certain species of goby, like the tubenose goby, are endangered species in Europe. Since Europe and the Caspian Sea are native territory, the Europeans have no reason to try to get rid of them.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: 11/17/05, 10:39 »
The levels of mercury and toxins in salt water fishes, take swordfish for exsample, are much higher than the levels in great lakes fishes. I know they use the undesirerable fish parts, discarded in many canneries, in many pet foods. I'm not sure what the toxin levels are in gobies but I'm sure it's not as high as in many marine fishes. Since they do use them for food in Europe why not here too? Let's face it the gobies are here to stay. We might as well put them to work in our economy. They have been free loading for years. Has there ever been any effort to get rid of them in the Great Lakes??? Red fish were considered trash fish in the gulf states, before they became a "fad food".They were practically wiped out, until they were recognized as a sport fish by anglers, and restored. Maybe gobies could be the next "fad food". How about a goby sanwich? Sounds good, right? The word Goby is catching. It kind of rolls off your tongue in a good way. How about beer battered gobies? Ohh Ya! I'm going right out to catch some and fry them up for supper. Have a good day and pass it on!

Offline Kelly Riesen

• Full Time Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/17/05, 10:39 »
True that contaminant levels may not be as high in Great Lakes fish as in some marine fishes. However, it's still wise to follow consumption advisories.

I can see gobies becoming a fad food when yellow perch, walleye, steelhead, sheepshead, carp, and catfish are extirpated from the lake.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to get rid of the goby. Once these exotics get into the lake, they are here to stay. The best medicine is preventing invasive species from getting here in the first place.

The good news about the goby is that it appears that the population is beginning to self-regulate. Again, referring to my conversation with Carey Knight of the Ohio Division of Wildlife, there are currently many more female gobies than males. This means that many of the female's eggs are never successfully fertilized by a male. Also, the goby has become food for many different species of fish, including smallmouth bass, walleye, and yellow perch.

Let me know how the gobies tasted.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: 11/17/05, 10:40 »
The gobies were great, deep fried. They tasted kind of like a french fry but more meaty. I'm going to contact McDonalds and see if the want to start selling goby fries. I think gobies would be cheaper than potatos. It would be a win win stituation. The only loser would be the potato farmers. Goby 1 Kenoby

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: 11/17/05, 10:40 »
I caught a round goby and didn't want to kill it, but knew not to throw it back in the water. I thought I might keep it, cause it looked kinda cool. If I kept it at home in a tank, what should I feed it? Will it be all right to keep in a tank with a goldfish the same size? Will it contaminate my goldfish or should I treat my tank with something to prevent that?

Offline Fred Snyder, Ohio Sea Grant Extension

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/17/05, 10:41 »
Please check the portion of your Ohio fishing regulations brochure that covers aquatic invasive species - if you have a live goby in your possession you are in violation of the law. When catching gobies on the lake, either kill them or throw them back. I believe a fourth degree misdemeanor, which this is, calls for a $250 fine and/or 30 days. It's not worth it.

Amanda

« Reply #9 on: 11/17/05, 10:44 »
how come a goby has such a big fine on it? my gramdpa says goby are bad fish and they distroy everything and they are mean why fine someone for keeping one when if you throw it back it will hurt and destroy everything?and killing it? why? if you can't throw it back and you are going to kill it why not keep it it's not anyones gonna care if you keep him/her cause if you keep it one less goby in the wild to threaten wildlife and if you can't kill it than why not keep it? and also its a FISH whos gonna care if a wildlife ruiner is gone from ruin the wildlife?and food the goby gets eaten by smallmouth bass, walleye, and yellow perch.
i have news for you their ARE OTHER FISH IN THE SEA YOU CAN EAT!

Offline Kelly Riesen

• Full Time Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/17/05, 10:44 »
Amanda,

I spoke with Kevin Ramsey, Ohio Division of Wildlife, and he said that the fine on possession of a round goby really depends on the situation. For example, the penalty is going to be larger if you are caught selling them as bait. The maximum penalty for possession of a round goby is $250.00 and up to 30 days in jail.

There is good reasoning behind these regulations. Many of our introduced invasive species come from aquarium releases (i.e. goldfish). People have a habit of dumping un-wanted pets into natural bodies of water.

Invasive species are also released into our water bodies when fishermen dump their bait buckets over the side after they are done fishing. Let's say, for example, that some fishermen use a seine to net some minnows from Lake Erie. Some gobies also get caught in the net and go into the bait bucket. These fishermen decide that they don't want to fish on Lake Erie today, so they head to an inland lake. They fish all day. At the end of the day, there are still a few minnows left, so they just dump the bucket over the side of the boat, not realizing that there were round gobies in the bucket. These fishermen may have unknowingly introduced the round goby into a lake that didn't previously have them.

The Department of Natural Resources and other governing bodies, are worried that if people begin taking gobies and keeping them as pets or worse, using them as bait, round gobies will be spread to other un-contaminated water bodies.

As far as I know, it is not illegal to kill gobies. However, even if you kill them, you must throw them back. You cannot be caught in possession of either live or dead gobies.