Author Topic: Biting Flies  (Read 12460 times)

Offline keepinitreel

• View Profile
Biting Flies
« on: 06/23/06, 17:09 »
I was in erie 3-5 miles out near Cleveland, and the biting flies are horrible.
« Last Edit: 06/23/06, 17:23 by keepinitreel »

Offline John Hageman

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
Re: Biting Flies
« Reply #1 on: 06/24/06, 08:32 »
These biting flies,that look like a house fly are known as stable flies. They are at their worst on days when rain is expected as they want a blood meal to help their eggs mature before laying them on the piles of wet aquatic vegetation that washes ashore on the beaches. They appear particularily attracted to white (socks), and the presence of blood or another dead fly smashed on your clothing/skin seems to intensify their agressive feeding. They can be repelled by bug spray and breeding reduced by keeping beaches cleared of washed up vegetation. They were really bad here last Saturday just before sunset...

EdoNaVas

« Reply #2 on: 06/26/06, 10:24 »
Fly swatters have multiple functions. The momentary sting one gets is instantly gratified when the bug is crushed. Physically and psychologically. An analogy could be made about capital punishment for bugs and other irritants: certainly THAT fly will never do anyone any harm ever after although its demise doesn't seem to deter others.

Michael Skidmore

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/06, 06:32 »
I find it interesting how those flies always seem to bit on the shin area...out reach from the hands.  I got attacked pretty bad yesterday out there.

Offline Fred Snyder, Ohio Sea Grant Extension

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/01/06, 06:59 »
These little rascals have rasp-like tongues - they literally try to drill a hole through your skin to get at blood.  These are the same stable flies that can badly bloody a dog's ears and muzzle, especially around livestock facilities.  It's amazing that they can cover so much territory across the open lake.  As John said, insect repellent will keep them at bay.
« Last Edit: 07/01/06, 17:07 by Fred Snyder, Ohio Sea Grant Extension »

Joe

« Reply #5 on: 07/03/06, 07:00 »
I was at a riding stable last year with my daughters. I asked the stable hands how they keep the flies from biting. They said when you're sitting, keep your feet up on something. the flies are programmed to look for vertical targets like the legs of livestock. they don't bite if your legs are horizontal. Believe it or not it really works. I keep my feet up when I'm sitting on the boat and they don't go after my ankles at all. I still use bug spray for when I'm standing.

Offline John Hageman

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/03/06, 12:09 »
Thanks for the tip. I'll try fishing while I'm laying down-Maybe install a recliner on the boat.......

Offline GHoroky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/04/06, 05:01 »
John
We have using a horse fly spray that I buy at our local feed store. I comes in litre plastic spray bottle for about $8.00. It really works even on bare skin. It is water based and not toxic.
Greg

Offline John Hageman

• Extension Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/04/06, 06:44 »
Thanks for the tip. Readers-take your pick of whichever fly-proofing technique you care to try. Looks like there's some options for relief from the bloodthirsty rascals..

Offline austinstrickland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/12/09, 14:30 »
These biting flies,that look like a house fly are known as stable flies. I remember because I had some severe skin problems and had to go for blue light therapy. These flies are at their worst on days when rain is expected as they want a blood meal to help their eggs mature before laying them on the piles of wet aquatic vegetation that washes ashore on the beaches. They appear particularily attracted to white (socks), and the presence of blood or another dead fly smashed on your clothing/skin seems to intensify their agressive feeding. They can be repelled by bug spray and breeding reduced by keeping beaches cleared of washed up vegetation. They were really bad here last Saturday just before sunset...

Yes, I also had a really bad experience when my daughter got infection due to some similar sort of flies..
You seem to have good knowledge about them.

Offline creekcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/21/09, 09:46 »
I've heard the same thing - the flies key in on vertical structures such as horse and animal legs.
If you keep legs horizontal, they don't bite. Not always easy, but it does work!

Jumping around and screaming at them does not.......