Sandusky, OH The Ohio Clean Marinas Program and its partners encourage boaters, marina operators, and greenhouse facility operators to recycle their plastic shrink wrap this season by taking it to a collection site and keeping it out of local landfills. The following Lake Erie marinas are serving as shrink wrap collection sites May 1 through June 15. Information on additional collection sites and program participation is available by calling the Ohio Clean Marinas Program office at 419-609-4120 during normal business hours Monday-Friday.
2012 Collection Sites Include:
• Beaver Park Marina, 6101 W. Erie Ave., Lorain
• Brenner 75 at Harrison’s Marina, 3840 N. Summit St., Toledo
• Catawba Landing, 2021 NE Catawba Rd., Port Clinton
• Emerald Necklace Marina, 1500 Scenic Park Drive, Lakewood
• Geneva State Park Marina, Padanarum Road, Geneva
• Sandusky Harbor Marina, 1 Huron St., Sandusky
• Spitzer Riverside Marina, 485 California Ave., Lorain
Thanks to an innovative recycling program launched by Ohio Sea Grant in partnership with Mondo Polymer Technologies, Inc. of Reno, Ohio, more than 1.7 million pounds of plastic shrink wrap have been recycled since 2006. This discarded shrink wrap has been kept out of Ohio landfills and recycled into the manufacture of nearly 250,000 highway guardrail blocks by Mondo Polymer Technologies that help make over 300 miles of Ohio roadways safer and reduce landfill content.
Step-by-step, illustrated instructions on the proper handling of shrink wrap for collection at the participating collection sites is available online at ohiocleanmarina.osu.edu.
For more information, contact:
Sarah Orlando, Ohio Clean Marinas Program, 419.609.4120
- or -
Ron Wesel, Mondo Polymer Technologies, 888-607-4790