Stone Laboratory, Ohio State University’s island campus on Lake Erie, has announced its 2009 Guest Lecture Series beginning June 18. Each Thursday evening lecture will begin at 7:45 p.m., lasting until approximately 9 p.m. Topics this season have a particular focus on the effects of the economy on resource management, with additional talks about the geological history of Lake Erie, agriculture, the science of deep ocean shipwrecks, Ohio State research, and the work of the Ohio Division of Wildlife.
Guests are invited to take a Lake Erie Water Taxi, at their own expense, at 7:15 p.m. from the Boardwalk Restaurant dock to Gibraltar Island, where they will be given a short tour before the lecture. The lectures will also be simulcast into 333C Kottman Hall on the Ohio State University main campus, and podcasts will be available at stonelab.osu.edu/events/guest-lectures.
"I am sure Stone Laboratory has never had a more dynamic and influential cadre of speakers than we do in our 2009 lecture series," says Dr. Jeff Reutter, Director of Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Laboratory. "I encourage the public to come and take advantage of the opportunity to hear and interact with each of them."
This year’s lectures include:
- 6/18 — Dr. Lawrence Krissek, School of Earth Sciences, The Ohio State University, "The Geologic History of the Lake Erie Basin"
- 6/25 — Robert Boggs, Director, Ohio Department of Agriculture, "Ohio Agriculture and Its Impact on the Environment"
- 7/2 — Dr. Charles E. Herdendorf, Professor Emeritus, Ohio State University, "Science on a Deep-Ocean Shipwreck: Gold-Rush Treasures & Marine Sciences"
- 7/9 — David Graham, Chief, Ohio Division of Wildlife, "An Evening with the Ohio Division of Wildlife"
- 7/16 — Sean Logan, Director, Ohio Department of Natural Resources, "Recessionary Economics and Resource Management"
- 7/30 — Chris Korleski, Director, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, "Big Issues/Little money: Managing Environmental Issues on a Tight Budget"
- 8/6 — Dr. Carol Whitacre, Vice President for Research, The Ohio State University, "Exciting New Research Developments at Ohio State"
- 8/13 — Dr. Bobby Moser, Vice President for Agriculture, The Ohio State University, "Using Science and Technology to Stimulate the Economy and Reduce the Environmental Impact of Agriculture."
Upon request, broadcasts can be sent to other remote locations. For information on simulcast opportunities, contact the Stone Laboratory Office at 614-285-1800.
Located on the 6.5-acre Gibraltar Island in Put-in-Bay harbor, Stone Laboratory is The Ohio State University’s Island Campus on Lake Erie and the education and research facility of the Ohio Sea Grant College Program. The Ohio State University’s Ohio Sea Grant program is part of NOAA Sea Grant, a network of 32 Sea Grant programs dedicated to the protection and sustainable use of marine and Great Lakes resources. For information on Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Lab, visit ohioseagrant.osu.edu.