Contact: Jill Jentes, 614-937-0072, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Laboratory to Host Press Briefing followed by Public Webinar to Explain NOAA’s 2013 Seasonal Forecast for the Severity of Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Erie
On July 2, Ohio Sea Grant’s Stone Laboratory will host a media briefing with laboratory demonstrations and an on-the-water field experience followed by a public webinar to explain NOAA’s 2013 Seasonal Forecast of Harmful Algal Blooms for Lake Erie. The event will feature expert commentary, a discussion of the history of this issue on Lake Erie, Ohio’s response to the problem, and strategies to solve the problem. Lunch will be provided with abundant opportunities for one-on-one interviews with the experts.
Media briefing, water quality laboratory demonstrations, on-water field experience, and public webinar led by regional and national experts to explain NOAA’s 2013 HAB forecast for Lake Erie.
- Media Briefing and Lab/Field Experience: Tuesday, July 2, 10:00 a.m. EDST followed by complimentary press lunch. Participants should take the Miller Ferry departing from Catawba Point at 9:00 a.m. Stone Lab staff will meet the ferry and transport participants to the Laboratory for the briefing.
- Public Webinar: Tuesday, July 2, 2:00-4:00 p.m. EDST
Visit the following site to register for the webinar: http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/events/?eventID=515
Scientists from Ohio State University’s Sea Grant Program and Stone Laboratory, NOAA, Heidelberg University, Ohio EPA, and elected officials including:
- Hon. Sherrod Brown, U.S. Senate (invited)
- Hon. Rob Portman, U.S. Senate (invited)
- Hon. Marcy Kaptur, U.S. House of Representatives, 9th District (invited)
- Hon. Randy Gardner, State Senator
- Hon. Chris Redfern, State Representative
- Scott Nally, Director, Ohio EPA
- Gail Hesse, Chair, Ohio Phosphorus Task Force II
- Captain Rick Unger, President, Lake Erie Charter Boat Association
- Melinda Huntley, Executive Director, Ohio Travel Association
- Dr. Jeff Reutter, Director, Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Laboratory (event host)
- Dr. Rick Stumpf, NOAA (HAB model and forecast expert)
- Dr. Mark Monaco, NOAA Research Center Director
- Dr. Pete Richards, Senior Research Scientist, National Center for Water Quality Research, Heidelberg University (nutrient expert)
- Dr. Justin Chaffin, Stone Laboratory Research Coordinator
The Ohio State University, Ohio Sea Grant, Stone Laboratory, Gibraltar Island, Put-in-Bay, Ohio 43456
RSVP by 3p.m. July 1 to Jill Jentes via email at email@example.com or by calling 614-937-0072, for further details and directions. Visit the following site to register for the webinar: http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/events/?eventID=515
Located on the 6.5-acre Gibraltar Island in Put-in-Bay harbor, Stone Laboratory is the Ohio State University’s island campus on Lake Erie and the education and research facility of the Ohio Sea Grant College Program. The Ohio State University’s Ohio Sea Grant Program is part of NOAA Sea Grant, a network of 32 Sea Grant programs dedicated to the protection and sustainable use of marine and Great Lakes resources. For information on Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Lab, visit ohioseagrant.osu.edu.