Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Laboratory to Host Press Briefing followed by Public Webinar to Explain NOAA’s 2014 Seasonal Forecast for the Severity of Harmful Algal Blooms in Lake Erie
On July 10, Ohio Sea Grant’s Stone Laboratory will host a media briefing with laboratory demonstrations and an on-the-water field experience followed by a public webinar to explain NOAA’s 2014 Seasonal Forecast of Harmful Algal Blooms for Lake Erie. The event will feature expert commentary, a discussion of the history of this issue on Lake Erie, Ohio’s response to the problem, and strategies to solve the problem. Lunch will be provided with abundant opportunities for one-on-one interviews with the experts.
Media briefing, water quality laboratory demonstrations, on-water field experience, and public webinar led by regional and national experts to explain NOAA’s 2014 HAB forecast for Lake Erie.
- Media Briefing and Lab/Field Experience: Thursday, July 10, 10:00 a.m. ET followed by complimentary press lunch. Participants should take the Miller Ferry departing from Catawba Point at 9:00 a.m. Stone Lab staff will meet the ferry and transport participants to the Laboratory for the briefing.
- Public Webinar: Thursday, July 10, 2:00-4:00 p.m. ET. Visit the following site to register for the webinar: ohioseagrant.osu.edu/events/?eventID=591.
Scientists from Ohio State University’s Sea Grant Program and Stone Laboratory, NOAA, Heidelberg University, University of Toledo, and elected officials including:
- Hon. Rob Portman, U.S. Senate (video connection)
- Hon. Randy Gardner, State Senator
- Hon. Chris Redfern, State Representative
- Captain Paul Pacholski, President, Lake Erie Charter Boat Association
- Melinda Huntley, Executive Director, Ohio Travel Association
- Dr. Jeff Reutter, Director, Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Laboratory (event host)
- Dr. Rick Stumpf, NOAA (HAB model and forecast expert)
- Dr. Laura Johnson, Research Scientist, National Center for Water Quality Research, Heidelberg University (nutrient expert)
- Dr. Justin Chaffin, Stone Laboratory Research Coordinator (algae, nutrient, and toxin expert)
- Dr. Tom Bridgeman, University of Toledo (algae, nutrient, and toxin expert)
The Ohio State University, Ohio Sea Grant, Stone Laboratory
Gibraltar Island, Put-in-Bay, Ohio 43456
RSVP by 3p.m. July 9 to Jill Jentes via email at email@example.com or by calling 614-937-0072, for further details and directions. Visit the following site to register for the webinar: ohioseagrant.osu.edu/events/?eventID=591.
Located on the 6.5-acre Gibraltar Island in Put-in-Bay harbor, Stone Laboratory is the Ohio State University’s island campus on Lake Erie and the education and research facility of the Ohio Sea Grant College Program. The Ohio State University’s Ohio Sea Grant Program is part of NOAA Sea Grant, a network of 33 Sea Grant programs dedicated to the protection and sustainable use of marine and Great Lakes resources. For information on Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Lab, visit ohioseagrant.osu.edu.