Stone Lab’s Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Scholarship Program is a competitive comprehensive research internship that attracts students from across the country to learn how to conduct real, in-the-field research alongside top scientists. Over five weeks, participants use scientific equipment, explore the Lake Erie islands, and collect important data to help solve the most pressing issues for the Great Lakes region.
While taking a five-week course at Stone Lab, REU students spend their non-class days focused on research. Working closely with their research supervisor, they collect data, learn how to write about their discoveries and give a final presentation to their peers — learning the research process from start to finish and gaining valuable professional experience.
Students selected for the REU program receive a full scholarship to Stone Lab, including:
- Lab fee
- Room and meals
- In-state tuition for a 5-week course
- In-state tuition for the 2-credit research experience
In 2018, students will research the following topics:
Invasive Species and Forest Composition of the Lake Erie Islands
Visual ecology of walleye and emerald shiners
Ecology and conservation issues in northern Ohio crayfish
Survival of birds inhabiting the Lake Erie Islands
Fisheries investigations to inform fisheries management
Exploration of Lake Erie nutrient loading, hypoxic events (the “dead zone”) and harmful algal blooms
* Two of the four limnology REUs will have the opportunity to work with Dr. Justin Chaffin, Ohio Sea Grant’s research coordinator, in the Stone Lab Water Quality Laboratory to extend their REU from 5 weeks to 8 weeks. These students will be paid an hourly rate of $9.50 and have room and meals provided.
Previous students have attended local and regional conferences and co-authored scientific journal articles about their research.
Students applying for the REU program must submit:
- All official college transcripts
- Cover letter (highlight previous background experiences and how the REU program and Stone Lab courses will support your academic and professional career)
- Two letters of recommendation (from non-relatives and individuals who can speak to your academic successes and work ethic) emailed directly to email@example.com.
Note: Students selected for REU positions must pay a $60 application fee to The Ohio State University. This fee will be reimbursed upon successful completion of the program.
To be considered for the 2018 REU program, you must apply by the deadline below
|REU Application Deadline||February 5, 2018|